Friday, November 21, 2008

It's ALWAYS the bananas!

You know......it never ceases to amaze me. No matter how long one of these young baggers has been bagging the groceries at whatever store...they always seem to go hard on the bananas.

You see, I am pretty anal when it comes to loading my grocery cart when I shop. All the cold items go to one side, as to keep eachother cool, and boxed goods in one section....and so on. Now I am just as anal when I load the groceries to the conveyor belt from the basket. I keep the cold items together, the canned foods in a group and I always load the bread and fruit LAST on the belt so that they get bagged last and place nicely into the basket last. So last night I had purchased all the regular fruits, veggies and goods plus the things I will need for Thanksgiving...like a 13 lb turkey and some raspberries and so on. The turkey was the first thing I placed on the belt to get bagged. It all seemed to go as planned and I placed the bananas on the belt next to the bread. It was like watching them traveling slowing down the dreaded plank on a pirate ship! As I got caught up in swiping my card the correct direction and on the right side, I happened to glance up at the time the bagger had in one hand the huge turkey and in the other hand he was placing the bananas and raspberries in the bottom corner of the basket and it was like slow motion as he plopped the the turkey right down on top of the freakin banana bag!!! I gasped....I swallowed and those of you who know me will understand the sarcasim building up inside me.....I said to the poor boy, "Your kidding me. You have got to be joking." "Huh?" he mummbled. "You just smashed my bananas with that big ole turkey you nut!" "What?", he said. "Just take the bananas over to the produce area and get me a new bunch and we will call it even.", I requested. He looked at the checker like he needed permission to do it and I said, "JUST GO!" He scurried off and came back with what appeared to be a new bag of bananas and I placed them on top and proceeded to the car. I was still so shocked by such a display of ignorance I was mummbling to myself all the way thru the parking lot. A lady pulled in and parked next to me and got out while I was loading the goods into the back of my SUV and I looked at her and said, "Dont let them pack your bananas under your turkey like they did mine!" She looked at me and lit a smoke and went into how her son used to be a bagger at the naval base up the road and how he was always so careful with the fruit! "Yeah, well, not here!" So as I drove home I could not stop coming up with alternate things I should have said to that stupid stupid boy. I think next time I will calmly say, "Someday......when your older...and your buying your own groceries.......and the grocery store is really the last place you want to be at 8:00 at night....that day you may understand why all those people who complained about their fruit getting smashed were so mad and irritated. I hope that day, that your bananas get mutilated to a point that they fester and explode on you with rotten banana gobs all over you when you are wearing your nicest suit!" Upon getting home I found my happy son and husband playing. Husband bounded to his feet to help me with the groceries as I filled his mind full of the colorful adventure I had just had. My husband was opening the bag of bananas and looking at them funny. I had just told him the part where I sent the stupid bag boy to fetch me a new bunch of bananas. He said,"Looks like he gave you back the same banans but smashed them up a little more for you baby. It's probably what he felt you deserved for being so mean to him.", he said laughing! "WHAT A TWIT!!!" I had full intentions of taking them back up to the store this morning, but I decided I would let them ripen and use them for a more positive purpose...banana bread. As a christian woman I should take a nice hot loaf of banana bread up to the nice boy who dumped the turkey on the bananas.......but I dont think I am feeling that good about it yet.

No comments: